[MPlayer-users] tdfxfb problem

Stephen Kell srk31 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Jun 7 19:14:22 CEST 2004

Hi,

I'm trying to use mplayer to play DVDs (and other large videos)
fullscreen on my K6-3 450MHz with a Voodoo3 card. I know it's an old
machine, but I think it should be up to the job.

I've tried various vo options but of the ones that work (xv, x11,
sdl:x11, sdl:dga, fbdev, svga), none is fast enough. It looks like
tdfxfb is my best bet, but I can't get it to work. When I try to play a
file, this is what I get:

tdfxfb: Couldn't map memory areas: Invalid argument

I had a look at the source in libvo/vo_tdfxfb.c, and using strace
revealed it's the second call to mmap that fails.

mmap2(NULL, 16777216, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_SHARED, 7, 0) =
0x4122a000
mmap2(NULL, 33554432, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_SHARED, 7,
0x1000) = -1 EINVAL (Invalid argument)

I've no idea what's wrong with it though, so if anyone has any ideas I'd
be grateful. I should mention that I get the same error (on the same
call) if I try directfb. (If there's some way I could get acceptably
fast playback using another vo, I'd like to know also. I'd try 3dfx or
tdfx_vid but I'm using a 2.6 kernel and the relevant kernel modules
don't seem to compile.)

I'm using MPlayer 1.0pre4 (compiled with gcc 2.95.4) on Debian sid, with
kernel 2.6.5 (tdfxfb compiled in). The video card is a 3dfx Voodoo 3
2000 AGP (16MB).

Thanks for reading.

Stephen