[MPlayer-users] lavc vs. xvid (and improving lavc quality)

Jason Tackaberry tack at sault.org
Mon Jun 7 15:11:28 CEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 02:09 -0400, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> Better to do nothing at all. Then you don't create blocks!

Well, in point of fact, I still see blocks without eq2, just not as much
in the dark areas.  There are still plenty of blocky places elsewhere.
Anyway, as I said, when viewing on my TV, using eq2=1.2 produces output
that's pretty close to my set-top DVD player.

> Haha, xvid cheats...figures...

Or it's just a bug.  At any rate, 2-pass mode is comparable.

> IMO mv0 has no point for high bitrate. The only purpose is to check if
> encoding with a (0,0) vector is better (in a rate*distortion sense)
> than using the actual vector from motion est.

Ok.

> WOW! What I'm impressed at is that Michael was able to please the
> "block whiners" so fast! :)

Nobody's impressed more than I. :)

Cheers,
Jason.