[MPlayer-users] Cache doesn't refill

Nico Sabbi nsabbi at tiscali.it
Mon Jun 7 14:33:27 CEST 2004

Adam Nielsen wrote:

>>>What were you playing that was getting underruns?
>>>

>>a bit of everything: dvb from the card, rtp (both with live libraries
>>and without) and http streams.
>>

>Hmm...are you sure the card is supplying the data fast enough then?  If
>you record the dvb to disk and after a couple of seconds play back the
>file while it's recording, does mplayer 'catch up' and quit when it
>reaches the end of the file?

yes

>If so, mplayer is playing the data too
>quickly (e.g. I would expect this behaviour if you were playing a 25fps
>movie at 30fps.)

no, plain 25 fps. It's as if the card fed data too slowly. I'm sure
there's no data lost,
because otherwise I would have plenty of "dvb_streaming_read()" errors
on the console.
There's no A/V breakage or discontinuity of any kind.
Dmesg doesn't report problems, either.
Did you experience the same underruns playing dvb:// ?
Anyway, as  I wrote the same happens when playing rtp and http streams.

>>Enlarging the cache delays the problem, but doesn't solve it, and adds
>>too high delays when changing channel.
>>

>If it only delays the problem, it sounds like mplayer can't get the data
>fast enough for some reason.  Although the mplayer cache appears strange
>and it never wants to keep up, it does seem pretty reliable and I've
>always eventually found out that something else was to blame for the
>buffer underruns.

Another  strange consequence of the starvation is that
audio_out_percentage easily climbs
to 90%.

        Nico