[MPlayer-users] lavc vs. xvid (and improving lavc quality)

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Mon Jun 7 09:12:47 CEST 2004

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 17:32:50 +0200
matthias-wieser at t-online.de (Matthias Wieser) wrote:

> Then please file a bug report is denoise3d or hqdn3d doesn't work for
> you. I even have done some comparisons. Maybe you want to read
> www.wieser-web.de/ or
> http://home.knuut.de/MWieser_/vf_raw_film_noise2_3/

denoise works, it just has some limitations.  Should everyone file
bug-reports about pp=lb because it causes ghosts, or pp=md because it
pretty-much halves the resolution?

That comparison was pretty pointless.  denoise does a great job on still
material.  It only has a problem is when there is movement.  In which
case it distorts the borders between different moving objects
(blantantly obvious when the picture is still, then objects start
moving quickly), and often leaves a bit of visible junk behind (eg.
momentary discoloration of the background closer to the color of the
object that just passed-over it).

If you and Rich are going to continue to say that denoise is perfect,
I'll be more than happy to create a few examples to point-out the
limitations...