[MPlayer-users] xvid and mencoder - corrupt headers?

Brian Neltner neltnerb at neltner.mit.edu
Sun Jun 6 07:35:44 CEST 2004

On Sat, Jun 05, 2004 at 10:07:54PM -0700, rcooley wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 07:01:11 +0200
> ivanova <flamingivanova at punkass.com> wrote:
>
> > I keep getting corrupt headers in avi's encoded with mencoder and
> > xvid. As far as I could determine, it happens with different settings
> > and I couldn't find any pattern yet. It does seem to happen after
> > about 1 Gig file size, but that is not always the case.
> >
> > Anyone else experience this?
>
> Sounds like you are experiencing a problem with ODML.  Search the
> archives for it, there's been plenty of discussion on it...

Which mailing list was this discussion on?

This started happening to me within the last two weeks of mencoder releases too (I'm guessing mencoder started encoding as AVI 2.0 by default recently?).  Seeking actually seems to work perfectly for files over 2 gigabytes, but between 1 and 2 gigabytes, it fails to seek after some point where it prints the error:

[mpeg4 @ 0x859aaa8]warning: first frame is no keyframe

I'm not really sure what this is, but an uneducated guess-- could it perhaps not be checking for the AVI 2.0 format in the header unless the file is over 2 gigs?
--
-Brian

"The teacher guides his students best, by allowing them to lead."
-Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching, circa 600 B.C.