[MPlayer-users] Uh... wierdness?

Taylor Smith tsmith at tsmithphotos.com
Sat Jun 5 23:13:18 CEST 2004

Hey Y'all,

I tried to rip a DVD to an mpeg4/DiVX AVI that was cropped and scaled
down but with a 16:9 aspect ratio that could fit onto a CD this way:

mencoder -dvd 1 -alang en -ovc frameno -oac mp3lame cbr:br=$2 -o frameno.avi

mencoder -dvd 1 -alang en -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vpass=1:vbitrate=1000 -vop crop=720:364:0:56,scale=576:324
-sws 2 -o movie.avi

mencoder -dvd 1 -alang en -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vpass=2:vbitrate=1000 -vop crop=720:364:0:56,scale=576:324
-sws 2 -o movie.avi

And the file I got cannot be played in Windows Media Player at all, it
aborts, and when I play it in MPlayer, the A/V is out of sync by about 6
seconds on average, but it fluctuates throughout the movie, sometimes
its really close. I didn't see any error messages from MEncoder, it spit
out "1 Duplicate Frame(s) Detected" (is there a way to turn off that
notification) so often that if there were any errors, they flew off the
screen before I could even see them. This was the second DVD I tried and
I've gotten the same result with each. But I do love the rescaling, and
the fact that it was able to be in aspect ratio, but as for the rest,
have I done something wrong?

Thanks for any suggestions!
--Taylor Smith

PS: This is an IBM T40, SuSE 9.0, Kernel 2.4.21 (SuSE Build), MPlayer
0.92 from the Release, Lame 3.95.

And thanks for putting up with a newbie! I know its annoying sometimes!