[MPlayer-users] Fitting a big file on a 700mb cd with mencoder?

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Fri Jun 4 21:53:52 CEST 2004

khurram wrote:

> Yes, it quits immediately if i do the above command 'mplayer
> TheMovie.mpg  -ss 59463'.
>
> Here is what i get:
<snip>
> Hmm, so you are saying i use a smaller value? I tried '-ss 1200'
> which ended up giving me a 980mb file which, if played, only plays
> the audio.

That's weird, and it may mean that I'm on completely the wrong track.

> I mean, i don't understand how trial and error can get me this to
> work...59463 is a big number.

What is happening, I think, is that '-ss 59463' is instead (because of
inaccurate seeking) putting you at, say, 64782 (making up a number at
random). If you seek to some lower number, you can get it to put you at
(or very close to) 59463, which is where you want to be.

What I'm suggesting is that you (in MPlayer) first try seeking to, say,
59000, and if that still quits try again with 58000, then with 57000,
and so forth until it actually plays something instead of just quitting.
At that point, note where the last -ss value actually put you at, and
continue to try lower numbers until one of them comes out close to
59463; then refine it, up and down, until you get as close as possible.

That's still clunky and unclear... maybe I should try to run through an
example, with a file of my own?

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.