[MPlayer-users] Fitting a big file on a 700mb cd with mencoder?

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Fri Jun 4 20:48:59 CEST 2004

khurram wrote:

> Ok, sorry, here are the commands i used.  The name of the input file
> is 'TheMovie.avi' which is around 1.4GB.
>
> First Command used:
>
> $ mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy TheMovie.mpg -o Movieout.mpg -endpos 670mb

> I am now left with two files, one is the original 'TheMovie.avi' and
> the  other one is 'Movieout.mpg' which is around 700mb.  I deleted
> this 'Movieout.mpg', since i think it was only used to get the
> frames.
>
> Moving on to the next instruction:
>
> Second Command used:
>
> $ mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy TheMovie.mpg -o Movieout2.mpg -ss 59463

> And thats it.  The Movieout2.mpg is a mere 4kb file.

Here's a guess: seeking is sometimes inaccurate (i.e., -ss 1200 can
occasionally put you anywhere from about 1000 to about 1350 depending on
the file). If you use

mplayer TheMovie.mpg -ss 59463

where does it seek to? Does it quit immediately, having already reached
the end? If so, try various lower values for -ss until you find one
which gets you to the correct time offset, then use that in your
MEncoder command line.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.