[MPlayer-users] lavc vs. xvid (and improving lavc quality)

Jason Tackaberry tack at sault.org
Wed Jun 2 03:31:07 CEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 21:29 -0400, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> If there are no bugs, it won't be worse. But it will waste a lot of
> space. Except for certain scenes, q=2 really isn't much better than 3
> or 4.

Ok, that's what I figured.

> > > quality, since none of us who encode the right way (2pass) are
> > > noticing any problem whatsoever...
> >
> > I do.
>
> That's why I suspect something's wrong...

Well, I'm certainly not the only one who's noticing the blockiness.  I
just re-encoded one of my DVDs (which I had before done vqscale=3) using
two-pass with vbitrate=2600.  And without postprocessing, the blocks are
still there.  I watch these movies on a 52" tv where _everything_ is
big, so maybe I'm more likely to see these artifacts than someone
viewing on a smaller CRT.  OTOH, I do also see the same thing on my
laptop's LCD, though to a lesser degree.

Cheers,
Jason.