[MPlayer-users] lavc vs. xvid (and improving lavc quality)

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Jun 2 02:03:10 CEST 2004

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 12:34:44AM +0200, Matthias Wieser wrote:
> > This is nonsense. lavc gives much better psnr and much higher visual
> > quality (no artifacts whatsoever!) compared to xvid and divx,
>
> Compared to xvid from summer 2002?
> Just try yourself: Encode a movie with low bitrate and watch some nearly
> flat areas - there the blocks are. Watch the movie with postprocessing
> and you won't see those blocks. But not everyone uses postprocessing.

I never use postproc and I never see blocks. BTW perhaps you're
(stupidly) using vqscale= rather than bitrate/2pass encoding. There
may very well be a bug in the constant-quantizer code that's ruining
quality, since none of us who encode the right way (2pass) are
noticing any problem whatsoever...

Rich