[MPlayer-users] Compiling mplayer in 32bit mode on x86-64 machines

Andreas Nowatzyk Andreas_Nowatzyk at onsis.sp.ri.cmu.edu
Wed Jun 2 00:05:23 CEST 2004

I have an AMD Opteron based machine running SUSE 9.0 in 64 bit mode.
By default, everything compiles in 64 bit mode using 64bit libraries.
SUSE also provides all 32bit libs and 32bit binaries run fine.

A normal mplayer installation (./configure; make; make install) works
fine, but results in a 64bit version of mplayer which cannot use the
win32 codecs. So I'd like mplayer to be compiled in 32bit mode.
Unfortunately, the configure script is very smart about detecting the
x86-64 system and I found no way to do this easily (like:
./configure --target=i386-Linux  doesn't work)

In case someone runs into the same problem, here is what I did:

1. Edit the configure script to force host_arch=i386 (added after line 473
   in 1.0pre4 )

2. ./configure --cc="gcc -m32" --as="as -V -Qy --32" ...

That worked for me. It would be nice if a future version of configure
could include som 32-bit mode switch for x86-64 machines (which are
likely to become more popular).

  Kind regards,
  --  A. Nowatzyk