[MPlayer-users] XvMC depandancies

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Tue Jun 1 17:48:52 CEST 2004

> Carl Karsten said:
> >> Checking for XvMC ... no

> Hmm, never seen x.org , so I will tell you how it works on XFree86.
> First XvMC library is splited on 2 parts. A common library that
> have only few non significant functions and device dependant
> library that is specific for the hardware. (No idea why they have
> not done it right - with automatic switching, depening on the device).
>
> So the configure scrtipt checks for XvMCNvidia (or something like that)
> that is the driver that get installed with NVidia binnary driver,
> and is the only known (by me) driver that have hardware IDCT decoding.
>
> Without it software decoding (with mmx,3dnow,sse) is faster.
>
> There is another library (i810) that comes with xfree86, but I do
> not include it as it may be present even if you don't have i810 card.
>
> The S3 ProSavige/Twister driver is currently not operational (some
> interput mess with dri, that I cannot even give it a try I don't
> have the hardware)
>
> I don't know if ATI have any xvmc software support (even by binnary drivers.
>
> i don't remember the additional switch to point xvmc library
> but it was something line --with-xvmclib=
> you can point the library name (without .a/.so) or full pathname.
>
> Wish you luck.

Thank you.

I have an i810.

# ldconfig -p |grep 810
 libI810XvMC.so.1 (libc6) => /usr/X11R6/lib/libI810XvMC.so.1
 libI810XvMC.so (libc6) => /usr/X11R6/lib/libI810XvMC.so

$ locate XvMC
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXvMC.so
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXvMC.so.1
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXvMC.so.1.0
/usr/X11R6/lib/libI810XvMC.so
/usr/X11R6/lib/libI810XvMC.so.1
/usr/X11R6/lib/libI810XvMC.a
/usr/X11R6/lib/libI810XvMC.so.1.0
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXvMC.a
/usr/X11R6/include/X11/extensions/XvMC.h
/usr/X11R6/include/X11/extensions/XvMCproto.h
/usr/X11R6/include/X11/extensions/XvMClib.h

I have tried every sensable permutation of --with-xvmclib
[path][/][libI810XvMC][.so]

./configure --enable-xvmc --with-xvmclib=/usr/X11R6/lib/libI810XvMC

and yet it keeps saying "...no."

My guess is if autodetect didn't detect it, something isn't right with the xorg
side.

Thank you again for your time.

Carl K