[MPlayer-users] Real player

Joseph Dunn jdunn14 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 30 17:59:45 CEST 2004

Although I've found that mplayer can play pretty much any media file I couldn't get this one to play:
http://real.ucar.edu/ramgen/asp/colloquium_2004/6_23_04.rm

Before anyone thinks porn, the content is a conference talk about using GPS for amospheric sensing.  I tried to simply play the above link, and it does not properly follow the links that are returned by the server.  The content returned for the above link is:
rtsp://128.117.223.14:554/asp/colloquium_2004/6_23_04.rm?cloakport=80,554,7070
--stop--
pnm://128.117.223.14:7070/asp/colloquium_2004/6_23_04.rm?cloakport=80,554,7070

I tried playing both urls and the top one plays, but the video decoding is broken.  The bottom (don't know what pnm is anyway) just spouts read errors.  A number of times in the past I've had to grab the http link and then run mplayer on the first listed link in that file, but it usually works.  I'm using the RPM build of MPlayer v1.0pre5 with the following codec packs:
mplayer-codecs-linux-xanim-20040626-1
mplayer-codecs-win32-20040704-1
mplayer-codecs-win32-qt-extras-20040704-1
mplayer-codecs-essential-20040704-1

Also tried playing it with the RealPlayer codecs directly from the linux RealPLayer install, and no dice.  One of the combinations of mplayer and urls threw an error about live.com support.  I tried to compile mplayer from source with live.com support compiled in (the rpm does not contain it), but the build failed.  I'd chase that option more if someone could confirm that that would work.

Is this a known issue?  Is there something else I should try?  I ended up using RealPlayer under linux, but that software quite simply sucks.  I'll have to play more of these latter, so I'd really prefer to have mplayer work.  I'm not subscribed to the list, so please reply to list and me (jdunn14 at yahoo.com).  If this is somewhere in previous mailing list communications please point me to it, butI couldn't find it, or ever determine a limited enough search to read all the results.
-Joe Dunn