[MPlayer-users] How to play 1080i HDTV material

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at optushome.com.au
Wed Jul 28 13:11:54 CEST 2004

Hi all,

I've been having this problem with mplayer for ages, and it's quite
annoying as my computer should now be fast enough to watch HDTV in
realtime (well I assume so because when I do play HDTV video my CPU is
nowhere near 100%.)  I'm even more certain the CPU speed isn't the
problem though, because when I play the video it's not just slow, it's
corrupted (e.g. the blocky effect you get when watching corrupted
Xvid/MPEG2.)

Is it possible to watch HDTV material with mplayer?  The 'blocky' effect
seems to happen at the same time the "size restrictions for MP at ML or
MPEG1 exceeded! (1920x1088)" message is displayed (about four times a
second.)  Is HDTV resolution too high for mplayer to handle?

Thanks,
Adam.