[MPlayer-users] Playing DVDs on MPlayer from a directory takes a long time to start

Pieter Hulshoff phulshof at xs4all.nl
Tue Jul 27 20:13:04 CEST 2004

Hello all,

I've tried playing DVDs from a directory (rather than the disk) using:
mplayer -fs dvd://1 -dvd-device /home/phulshof/hp2
It works like a charm, but it takes a long time (about 2 minutes) to start!
After that it runs fine, but that starting time is a tad too much for me. I
have no such problems when I play directly from the DVD. DMA is on on all
disks, but I kinda figure it treats the DVD as a 'loading when needed' while
it treats the directory as a 'load everything before you start'. Any
thoughts?

Regards,

Pieter Hulshoff