[MPlayer-users] un-eliminable video-audio delay in avi file

Jean-Olivier Irisson jo.irisson at noos.fr
Tue Jul 27 17:23:49 CEST 2004

Antonio wrote:
> Hi to all,
>   I've founded an avi file which played with mplayer has the video with 5-6 seconds of delay respect to the audio. The problem is that even trying to anticipate the video with - (keypad minus), not only it needs (say) 20 seconds of delay (much more than the real offset) but also after few second the audio begins to anticipate the video again.
>
>   I've tried also with xine but it doesn't play any audio. Is there any thing I can do to correct the file and make it to play correctly with mplayer?
>
>   To give some more details I've appended the output of mplayer on the end of the message.
>
> Thanks for any tip
> - Antonio

may be you can try to correct it permanently by making a new avi with
synchronised sound.
check the utility called "avisync" from transcode. this utility can
displace sound relatively to video from a given number of frames. your
problem will be to know how many frames to skip/postpone. i've had the
same problem with un-eliminable A/V delay with mplayer. usually if you
press the minus key quite fast the first delay used to sync the audio
and the video is a good estimate of the real A/V delay. (afterwards, as
the A/V delay started to increase again you have to delay more and more
and over estimate the real delay).
then you divide this delay (in seconds) by the number of frames per
second of your video ("fps") and you've got a rough number of frames to
provide to avisync. then it's trial and error to get it perfectly
synchronised.

hope that helps. cheers.
--
JiHO