[MPlayer-users] making a vcd from certian chapters

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Sun Jul 25 20:54:36 CEST 2004

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 16:03:55 +0000
"ronnie escobedo" <tenminuteslater at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I am assuming that I would have to transfer the chapters to the hard
> drive first.

No, there's no reason to.  You just need to add "-chapter X-Y" on the
command-line when you are encoding to VCD.

> The mencvcd script makes makiing vcds easy however it takes forever on
> my system. Is there another method or script that is recommended that
> will speed up the process.

menvcd use mjpeg-tools, which is quite slow.  Using mplayer directly
will make things much, much faster.  As for scripts, there aren't many
around, as everyone (myself included) seems to make their own that suit
their own purposes.  There is, however, a "divx2svcd" script (in the
same place you got mencvd) which would only require a few modifcations
to make a VCD rather than a SVCD.  Despite the lowsy name, it isn't just
for divx files, you can use it with any source.

By the way.  If you create a VCD/SVCD with multiple chapters, some
players will cut off the last second or so before the chapter mark, and
pause before playing the next part.  So suppling multiple files to
vcdimager isn't such a good idea.  Also, I find that tcmplex (from
transcode) creates files that are SMALLER than mplex (from mjpegtools).