[MPlayer-users] bad audio after 5 minutes with .rm stream

Antonio debian at fastwebnet.it
Sat Jul 24 17:17:54 CEST 2004

alpha0x89 at yahoo.de wrote:
> On Saturday 24 July 2004 11:11, Antonio wrote:
>
>>Hi to all,
>>I've noticed a problem listening the following stream:
>>
>>   mplayer rtsp://live.media.rai.it/broadcast/radiotre.rm
>>
>>after a while (variable time that goes from 3 to 10 minutes) the audio
>>begins to sound bad (and becomes worst with the passing time), seems
>>like a lot of little fragments putted together in a casual order.
>>
>>With realplay I had experienced some gap (silence) with the same audio
>>stream but never this king of problem.
>

> I havn't checked your URL, but it seems to be a problem I had. Over a bad
> connection some packets get lost. MPlayer ignores this and plays the messed
> audio stream. RealPlayer recognizes when packets are missing and plays
> silence instead. It shouldn't be difficult to implement this behaviour also
> in Mplayer. (For me I hacked a little programm that reads the stream dump and
> writes it MPlayable to stdout.)

Yes, it seems to me too this the problem. It's very nasty bug, because
on a long stream even one single packet lost compromise irreversibly all
the successive stream. Even closing mplayer and reopening it (apart that
is not handy) is very inefficient because of lots of seconds lost in the
buffering.

I'm not able to code a solution but a can help in testing...

- Antonio