[MPlayer-users] Audio skips (fu:AC3 passthrough on SB Live! 5.1, audio skips)

Jan Engelhardt jengelh at linux01.gwdg.de
Fri Jul 23 21:31:55 CEST 2004

Hello,

reference:
http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2002-May/014594.html

>>>I just found out (trying out the Dolby Digital Demos) that the video
>>>stream actually skips with the audio stream (not every time, but most of
>>>the time (someskips seem to short for the eye to notice)).
>>
>>yea, my impression is that alsa skips if the system is under high load.
>
>Yes, it does skip more if I have a high load, but only mplayer playing a DVD
>on a Dual PIII-800 (about 20-25% usage max on each processor) is not really
>what I call high load, and although the skips are less, they do not
>disappear. :(

I have similar problems. Whenever the system is under load -- more precisely
io load, i.e. hard disk activity -- mplayer tends to skip audio data.
I am using Linux 2.6.5(-SuSE7.95) with its bundled ALSA driver (cs46xx). Both
of -ao alsa1x and -ao pcm (=OSS emulation) of MPlayer 1.0pre4 and pre5 do skip
audio under load. (Such as dd if=/dev/zero of=test count=999999 bs=4096)

Audio is not skipped if I use the true OSS module for cs46xx. Applications such
as ogg123/mpg123 don't skip at all in any case.

If, it skips rapidly so that within two "reality" seconds, already one minute
of audio has passed (lots of, but not noisy highfreq pops, like soft static)

If you need more info, please let me know.

|CPU: Advanced Micro Devices Athlon MP/XP Thoroughbred 2087 MHz (Family: 6,
|Stepping: 0)
|Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
|CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 1 SSE2: 0
|Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 3DNow 3DNowEx SSE

|processor       : 0
|vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
|cpu family      : 6
|model           : 8
|model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+
|stepping        : 0
|cpu MHz         : 1666.840
|cache size      : 256 KB
|fdiv_bug        : no
|hlt_bug         : no
|f00f_bug        : no
|coma_bug        : no
|fpu             : yes
|fpu_exception   : yes
|cpuid level     : 1
|wp              : yes
|flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat
|pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
|bogomips        : 3301.37

This also happens on other computers I am using, so I classify it as an
mplayer-related problem.

Jan Engelhardt