[MPlayer-users] Re: Cropdetector

Martin Collins martin at mkcollins.org
Thu Jul 22 17:43:37 CEST 2004

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 07:16:38 -0700
rcooley <rcooley at spamcop.net> wrote:

> > I don't think this is a good candidate for automation,
>
> Why not?  I've automated cropping for months now, myself.

With some material it can give dodgy results. For example I have a
video of some wire-frame graphics with a black background. Everytime
the graphics change so does cropdetect's output.

> > I use -vf rectangle and my eyes.
>
> Which then takes several minutes for each video.

I only encode one or two things a week and they take several hours. A
couple of minutes to get it right first time is a small price to pay.
I'm already spending longer editing out ads etc.
Besides, cropdetect will run through the whole video if you let it.
How do you stop it in a script? How can you be sure you have a
representative sample?

> > the safest way is probably to find the minimum dimensions given by
> > -croptdetect
>
> What do you mean by "minimum dimentions"?

It outputs crop dimensions for every frame. I was suggesting you
should choose the smallest area and crop to that (after rounding down
to %16).
On reflection though, maybe the maximum would be better.

Martin