[MPlayer-users] Script update

Martin Collins martin at mkcollins.org
Tue Jul 20 17:32:59 CEST 2004

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 13:32:23 +0200 (CEST)
Meino Christian Cramer <Meino.Cramer at gmx.de> wrote:

>   But how can I use "any value"?
>   When you will follow the script, you will see, that these settings
>   are used to extract the recommended bitrate, which is given at the
>   end of the audio extraction process. Unfortunately, "only" a few
>   bitrates for certain fixed CD sizes are presented.

You are using the wrong audio extraction process. More later.

>   Should be read as "denoise3d=0:0:0:hqdn3d=0:0:0:"...

denoise3d=0:0:0,hqdn3d=0:0:0,...

>   Why all this "divided by 16". I have no problems watching the
>   results with mplayer. Or is there another trick I dont know yet?

It's to get the best performance out of the encoder. Your result may
be watchable but it could have been smaller/better quality.

>    "PASS0.log" was only a name I gave to the very first log file,
>    nothing more. Look at the script...it does exactly what you wnat
>    it to do...:)
>
>    First task:
>    Extract audio and mp3 it. Getch the recommended bitrate via sed
>    magic.

You are using -vc frameno as found in old mplayer documentation
describing "3-pass encoding". You will not find this in current docs.
At least, it has been removed from the English docs. I see it remains
in the encoding.html file for other languages.

If you use -dumpaudio instead then encode the audio using lame or
oggenc you can measure the size of the audio and calculate the
required video bitrate for any target size. It also allows the use of
vorbis or other audio codecs not directly supported by mencoder. You
use -oac copy on the two video passes, which maintains sync, then mux
the video and encoded audio into the container of your choice at the
end.

> > This is why I like to see people's scripts; there's always
> > something in them that strikes me as bizarre :-) I see now why you
> > export all your variables.
>
>   Yes...äh...why?

Opening a new terminal window for each encoding pass is not necessary.
I do my encoding in the background while I do something else. Having
windows pop up at random could get irritating.

>   But If you another smooth way to feed more than one file into
>   mencoder seemlessly I am open for any improvement!

It is usually recommended to either encode straight from the dvd or use
vobcopy to rip the vobs first or to cat the vobs in to one file before
encoding them.

Martin