[MPlayer-users] ogg misdetected as TiVo

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Fri Jul 16 06:55:00 CEST 2004

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 10:34:28 +0200
Jean-Olivier Irisson <jo.irisson at noos.fr> wrote:

> I think it is an avi with ogg audio. Should this be named *.ogg too?

There's no such thing as Ogg audio.  Ogg is a container like AVI.  Ogg
files typically contain "Vorbis" audio.  In the log above it even says
"Selected audio codec: [vorbis]"

To answer your question, AVIs containing Vorbis audio should not be
named .Ogg.  However, I have never seen one myself, and have heard
people who know such things, saying that AVI is technically incapable of
storing Vorbis audio.  That's why videos in Ogg containers got popular
in the first place.

However, MPlayer's output that you posted makes it very clear that you
have an Ogg file:

> Playing vampire.avi.
> AVI: Missing video stream!? Contact the author, it may be a bug :(
> Ogg file format detected.

The above line says the file is in an Ogg container format.

Now, .ogg is not the proper extention either, because of some conflicts.
 These files are  almost always named ".ogm", and you can find examples
of .ogm files on the web, on p2p, etc.