[MPlayer-users] ogg misdetected as TiVo

Jean-Olivier Irisson jo.irisson at noos.fr
Wed Jul 14 14:39:13 CEST 2004

Hi list,

I found a "bug" in mplayer.

I'm trying to play an anime with mplayer (compiled from today CVS with
all possible binary codecs in addition to static libavcodec) on linux
and I get this error message:

Playing vampire.avi.
AVI: Missing video stream!? Contact the author, it may be a bug :(
TiVo file format detected.
MPEG: No audio stream found -> no sound.
MPEG: FATAL: EOF while searching for sequence header.
Video: Cannot read properties.
No stream found.

Checking on the list
http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2004-February/042811.html
I've seen that some oggs were misdetected as TiVo files. I checked and
ogg support was indeed not enabled. Recompiling mplayer with ogg-vorbis
support solves the problem and the output is now:
Playing vampire.avi.
AVI: Missing video stream!? Contact the author, it may be a bug :(
Ogg file format detected.
Opening audio decoder: [libvorbis] Ogg/Vorbis audio decoder
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, 16 bit (0x10), ratio: 16000->192000 (128,0 kbit)
Selected audio codec: [vorbis] afm:libvorbis (OggVorbis Audio Decoder)
vo: X11 running at 1024x768 with depth 24 and 32 bpp (":0.0" => local
display)
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
Selected video codec: [ffodivx] vfm:ffmpeg (FFmpeg MPEG-4)

Therefore it seems that ogg audio can lead to misdetection as TiVo
files. The first error message doesn't give any clue about this so maybe:
-this message can be changed
-the format detection algorithm could be improved.

Sorry to only point out the problem without giving any solution but I'm
not qualified enough to do so. Thank you anyway for this great software:
once ogg is enabled the movie is played fine!
--
JiHO
---