[MPlayer-users] stupid dvd question.

Daniele Forghieri guru at digitalfantasy.it
Tue Jul 13 09:39:53 CEST 2004

Carl Karsten wrote:

>>That *isn't* necessarily a good idea, actually. What about multi-episode
>>DVDs of TV series, for example - or movies which are actually separated
>>properly into jump-to-able chapters? The longest track is *not*
>>necessarily the one which the user is most likely to want to watch, and
>>in point of fact unless multiple chapters are in fact not used at all I
>>don't think I can think of a time when it *would* be...
>>

>If such a feature were implimented, I am sure it would be an option.
>
>mplayer -playlongesttrack dvd://1
>
>Carl K

I prefer something like

    mplayer dvd://-1

and, if there are some track that differs in lenght of less than, say, 2
minutes let the user decide,
e.g.

    mplayer dvd://-1
    1. track  2:   42:20:30
    2. track  3:   42:10:20
    3. track  4:   41:58:32
    4. track  5:   42:06:20

    1-4:select track to play,  0:exit

This situation may appear if you got one DVD of tv series when you have
3 or 4 episode of the (almost) same lenght.

I ran in the problem of finding the right track to play (Aliens, it was
track 33!) and i resolve it installing the program lsdvd that prints, in
a fast way, all the lenght of the tracks of a DVD (among other information).

May be is possibile to write a script that launch lsdvd and than,
looking at the output, mplayer with the rigth (or the choosen) track.

    Daniele Forghieri