[MPlayer-users] How to mute mplayer audio?

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Tue Jul 6 01:19:55 CEST 2004

rcooley wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 19:59:50 +1000 Adam Nielsen
> <a.nielsen at optushome.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Is there any way to silence mplayer only, without silencing other
>> programs? (e.g. temporarily switch mplayer over to outputting
>> silence samples, ignoring the decoded audio data?)
>
> Try "-aop list=volume"

Er.... can this be altered on the fly, while MPlayer is running? Because
as I understood the question, he wanted to be able to mute/unmute
MPlayer during playback (a-la the current "m" functionality), without
affecting audio coming from other programs.

Also, aside from its arguably greater ease of use (in that it takes
volume levels as a percentage of starting volume, instead of the desired
volume in decibels), is there any reason why you recommend the
officially-deprecated volume plugin instead of its replacement, the
volume filter?

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.