[MPlayer-users] rtc question; conf problems solved

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Tue Jul 6 00:44:55 CEST 2004

On Monday, 05 July 2004 at 15:54, Cheryl Homiak wrote:
> The suggestion below gets Steve the 'helpful hint" award for the morning;
> I did
> chmod ++s /usr/local/bin/mplayer
> and have no more problems with /dev/rtc.
> Thanks!!!

No! That's a Bad Idea(tm). You should never run MPlayer as root.

Just make sure /dev/rtc is readable by everyone:
[dominik at rathann ~]$ ls -l /dev/rtc
crw-r--r--    1 root     root      10, 135 kwi 11  2002 /dev/rtc

and that max-user-freq is at least 1024

[dominik at rathann ~]$ cat /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq
1024

and you should have no problems. Unless there's something in 2.6 that
I don't know about.

R.

--
MPlayer RPMs maintainer: http://greysector.rangers.eu.org/mplayer.html