[MPlayer-users] Playing ASF files

antoine melser.anton at neuf.fr
Sat Jul 3 15:02:50 CEST 2004

Stephen Stocker wrote:

>>I'm having problems playing streaming ASF files from news.com and other
>>sources. Audio works, video doesn't. This is happening on both a Gentoo
>>system and a RH9 system after a fresh mplayer install. I have tried
>>multiple streams from multiple sources. Any help would be greatly
>>appreciated!
>>
>>I have all win32 codecs installed. I've searched this mailing list and
>>the web, but only very few people seem to get the same error messages:
>>
>>   Ahhhh, stream_chunck size is too small: 4
>>   Error while parsing chunk header
>>   ASF: No video stream found.
>>
>>From what I can tell, the problem is occuring before the codec is loaded.
>>
>>Find full output for an example stream from news.com below. Note that
>>the output pauses for a while (>20sec) before the "Ahhhh, ..." line is
>>printed. My guess is that it only prints that line once the entire video
>>is cached. Contact me for verbose output.
>>
>>Thanks in advance!
>>
>>Nathan
>>

>  Hi,
>
>  I don't know what the problem is, it's working fine for me, with
>  Slackware. Do you have a recent CVS of MPlayer? That's all I can think
>  of.

1.0pre4 is buggy as hell when it comes to playing streaming media. CVS
has it fixed - pretty much. I had it going really well, but the latest
CVS seems to be a little jerky. Don't blame the servers either - cos
EVERY time I have had anything jerky with mplayer it has been very
smooth with gxine.
Cheers
Antoine