[MPlayer-users] Bugs in MPEG-2 pack header and system header

Jimmy Blair blueskyjb at verizon.net
Tue Jan 27 23:02:18 CET 2004

I ran a VOB file through an MPEG-2 stream analyzer and found some errors
in the headers, specifically the pack header and the packet header.  The
packet header bug is that the stuffing bytes appear in the wrong place.
    They should be just before the payload, not in the middle of the
header. Note: the stuffing is correct for MPEG-1.  If you play back the
VOB in RealPlayer, you'll see the effect -- a frame will be dropped and
the video jerks.

There are 2 pack header bugs for MPEG-2.  One is an extraneous marker
bit following the MPEG-2 clock extension field.  The other is a missing
marker bit right before the reserved field.  These bugs cause no
playback error; however, they cause an MPEG-2 stream analyzer to
complain that the mux rate exceeds the rate bound in the system headers.

If anybody is interested, let me know and I'll send you a patchfile for
libavformat/mpeg.c.  Maybe someone from the developer's list??

Cheers....