[MPlayer-users] Re: Free audio codec for .AVI files ?

Jan Knutar jknutar at nic.fi
Tue Jan 27 19:37:19 CET 2004

> 5. MKV wastes a considerable amount of space (though not as much as
>    OGM) on overhead, mainly due to the horrible "EBML" encoding and
>    useless checksums.

I'm puzzled by checksums... I mean... What can they do other than say
"this frame is broken", or something such, a fact which would be
discovered anyway, when attempting to decode that frame and having to
try conceal the errors?

Something I've always thought was nice about most mpeg files is that
most players wont abort on discovering errors, but decode as good as
they can. Sometimes this work with divx and avi too, but only if the
errors don't hit the avi overhead, I'm guessing.

Had a baaaaadly scratched SVCD the other day, put it into the drive, and
had fun watching read errors getting visualized as a rainbow of
psychdelic colours exploding over the movie :) Sound was mostly ok,
apart from some clicks and pops. :-)