[MPlayer-users] PAL interlacing

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Jan 24 07:34:05 CET 2004

On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 03:33:18AM +0300, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, D Richard Felker III wrote:
>
> DRFI>But normal telecine (3:2 pulldown) doesn't occur in PAL. You might
> DRFI>find a few (very rare) PAL dvds with 3:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2 pulldown
> DRFI>(12 frames that look good followed by 11 that look interlaced, and
> DRFI>repeating). I would expect this may be the case in "The Wall" since
> DRFI>speeding up the movie from 24 fps to 25 fps would damage the musical
> DRFI>content. Anyway -vf pullup can repair this sort of pulldown (but every
> DRFI>24th frame will be duplicated) or -vf filmdint might work.
>
> Thanks, it seems that your guess was right. The length of the PAL & NTSC
> versions is the same. But there seems to be no "fair" progressive
> frames, they are just "less interlaced", so to say. When watching video
> by frames, it often looks like interlaced and non-interlaced (or much
> less interlaced) frames go one by one.
> pullup & filmdint work and remove interlacing in most scenes, not in
> all, however, but ghosts present on any motion. It looks much better,
> this way, though, however NTSC version doesn't seem have those
> artifacts.
>
> If you have time to look, I will upload 5M (about 4s) fragment which
> shows these effects.

I'll look, but my guess is that they did some sort of linear filter in
time, in which case they pretty much ruined the video and there's
probably no way to recover it. :( It would make a nice addition to my
collection of pathological samples though.

My recommendation: get the NTSC DVD or download a "backup" since the
copy you bought was "defective". :)

Rich