[MPlayer-users] Encoding issues.

Jan Knutar jknutar at nic.fi
Fri Jan 23 16:53:11 CET 2004

> mencoder dvd://1 -alang en -o /encode/output/ohpain_1.avi -ovc lavc
> -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:vbitrate=1000 -oac mp3lame -lameopts
> cbr:vol=3 -vop pp=(linblenddeint or mediandeint or 0x2000)

replace vhq with mbd=2 for starters, and use two pass mode...

If you've got patience to wait, add atleast trell to the lavcopts.
trell:cbp:qprd seems to increase quality for me, but that's on
non-animated source.

Is your source material really interlaced? Telecined? I've never encoded
such material myself, most of my DVDs are 25fps progressive afaik, so
can't help you there unfortunately :-\

1000 is too low a bitrate for full DVD resolution, you want to crop out
black borders and scale down to a multiple of 16. TOOLS/calcbpp.pl
might be of help, as well as DOCS/tech/encoding-tips.txt

> I've tried variable bitrate, with no success.  Is
> the "perfect encode" unattainable?  Am I chasing a dream?

Variable bitrate as in vqscale=2?