[MPlayer-users] Encoding issues.

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Jan 23 02:38:56 CET 2004

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 03:29:45PM -0800, avery lewis wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I'm rather new to the encoding scene, but I've RTFM'd a few times over now,
> and though I'm not getting everything, I get enough to get by..
>
> But I've got some issues.  :)
>
> I'm encoding animation using lavc, and I'll give you one of my example
> cmdlines here:

First of all, animation is almost certainly _telecined_, not
_interlaced_, so you should not be using deinterlacers but inverse
telecine filters.

> mencoder dvd://1 -alang en -o /encode/output/ohpain_1.avi -ovc lavc
> -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:vbitrate=1000 -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:vol=3
> -vop pp=(linblenddeint or mediandeint or 0x2000)
>
> Here's the problem I'm getting...
>
> If I encode at too high a bitrate (over 800) I get serious artifacts but a
> very nice picture quality.  Deinterlacing seems to be perfect.  I don't
> know how to describe the artifacts exactly.. they usually happen when a
> screen goes from something to nothing (black out before commercials, etc).
> It's sort of like what's described as freezed frames on
> (http://www31.brinkster.com/kaiousama/artifacts.htm) except that it only
> stays up for a second, and then goes away.
>
> However.. should I encode at a LOWER bitrate than 800, the major artifacts
> go away and I'm left with what's referred to as ringing (at least on
> http://www31.brinkster.com/kaiousama/artifacts.htm)
>
> I'm really at a loss here.. I'm using lavc, but I've also tried xvid (which
> is way worse), and ffmpeg (equally bad).  Filesize isn't so much as issue,
> I'm willing to take files up to 200Mg on 22 minutes of encoded animation.
> I've tried variable bitrate, with no success.  Is the "perfect encode"
> unattainable?  Am I chasing a dream?

Well you should try proper inverse telecine, and see if the problem
persists. If so, upload a clip of the source dvd that shows the
problem and hopefully someone can identify what's causing it.

Rich