[MPlayer-users] Telecine reversal with jpegs

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Jan 19 18:24:05 CET 2004

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 03:01:38AM -0500, marco wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When I play a DVD using:
>
>    mplayer dvd://1 -chapter 18-18
>
> I can see the interlaced frames. If I use:
>
>    mplayer dvd://1 -chapter 18-18  -vf detc
>
> the movie looks slightly choppy but otherwise fine (no interlacing).
> Similarly, when I do:
>
>    mplayer dvd://1 -chapter 18-18 -vo jpeg
>
> I get a bunch of jpegs, some interlaced, as expected. But if I try:
>
>    mplayer dvd://1 -chapter 18-18 -vo jpeg -vf detc
>
> Then:
>
> Starting playback...
> VDec: vo config request - 720 x 480 (preferred csp: Planar YV12)
> Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...
> Opening video filter: [scale]
> The selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec.
>
> FATAL: Could not initialize video filters (-vf) or video output (-vo).
>

> Can I get rid of interlacing this way or do I just dump the jpegs
> and write a script to somehow eliminate the interlaced frames...?

You definitely cannot just eliminate interlaced frames. You'll reduce
your movie to a horrible choppy 18fps if you do that, with large 1/10
second jumps every 3 frames. I don't know why vo_jpeg is incomplatibe
with the colorspace (you'd need to send FULL output) but you can try
-vf detc,scale to convert.

Rich