[MPlayer-users] DVD encoding Language problems..

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Thu Jan 15 01:25:02 CET 2004

James T Snell wrote:
> I've ripped one of my dvds using dvd://1 as my source with mencoder. When
> I play my movie on mplayer, I get the english version with dvd://1,
> however if I rip that source, it encodes the french version.. Could
> someone please help!?
>
> Here's the command I'm using..
>
> mencoder dvd://1 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4 -vf scale=320:240 -oac
> mp3lame -o SomeMovie.avi
>
> Thanks,
>   Dawning

That's odd. As far as I know, mplayer (and mencoder) picks the first
track it can find, and both of them should behave the same way with
respect to selecting audio. Anyway, you can force an audio track with
-aid. Most english-language DVDs have english as aid 128 or 129.
Alternatively, you can select the language with -alang en.

-Corey