[MPlayer-users] how to view windows media server(rstp) stream on mplayer

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Wed Jan 14 02:09:04 CET 2004

Sriram Natarajan wrote:
> Hey
>  I apologize for such wide distribution.
>  I was wondering, if some one could guide me on how to view a windows
> media server stream (rstp/.asf) that requires authentication as well as
> session state. I have necessary user name and password to view the
> stream in windows but I am not able to play this with MPlayer on Linux.
>  I tried with some of the commands like
> 1. mplayer mms://username:password@url - didn't work.

 From the manpage, that should work. Try using -user and -passwd, and see
if that helps.

> 2. downloaded rtsp live plugin compiled it and tried - it didn't work
> either.
>
>  Any help on how to make this stream work on linux will be very much
> appreciated.

You'll need to give us specific details of what is going wrong. Send the
_entire_ output of mplayer -v http://user:password@yoururl.com/whatever

If you don't want to reveal your username/password to the universe, make
sure to change them in the output before sending the mail. :)

-Corey