[MPlayer-users] On-the-fly Text Overlays?

Steven M. Castellotti SteveC at innocent.com
Tue Jan 13 11:25:13 CET 2004

hey all-

	Can anyone tell me if there is any convenient way to overlay a video
being played via mplayer with arbitrary text messages?

	I'm thinking that perhaps I can use mplayer's SDL output to write to a
virtual SDL device hosted by a fullscreen Pygame window (Python's SDL
wrapper), and then use SDL font display commands to handle the messages,
but I don't want to over-complicate matters if its not necessary.

	Perhaps I can use a DVD subtitle tool to convert the text strings to a
readable format and then somehow feed them to mplayer?

	Am I just off my nut here, or does anyone know of an easier way to
display a video and dynamic text simultaneous on a linux box?

Cheers

--
-Steve Castellotti
 SteveC at innocent.com