[MPlayer-users] mplayer w/o X?

Curtis Magyar cumagyar at mts.net
Mon Jan 12 11:59:16 CET 2004

I get the best results doing this on my ATI Radeon (7200) using directfb
& vidix.  I believe vidix supports nvidia chipsets too, but I've never
owned one myself.  To play something I use:

mplayer -vo directfb:vidix filename

That is not the only vo device you can use, there's sdl, fbdev, svga,
vesa, cvidix, ggi, etc which all do not require X to be running.
DirectFB & vidix is a good combo though, because directfb will allow
vidix to use some hardware acceleration features of your card (Or it
should anyway).  Try "mplayer -vo help" for a list of available devices.

Good luck.

--
Curtis Magyar