[MPlayer-users] DV over IEEE 1394 / "i.Link" in MPlayer

Georgi Georgiev chutz at gg3.net
Mon Jan 12 11:19:21 CET 2004

maillog: 12/01/2004-10:16:52(+0100): Niek Bergboer types
> Hello,
>
> Can anyone tell me if MPlayer natively supports Digital Video over IEEE
> 1394 (a.k.a. DV over "i.Link")? I'm looking into the possibility of
> buying a digital camcorder featuring an i.Link, but I'd like to make
> sure I can get it directly into MPlayer.

It is "almost" possible with

mplayer -cache 2048 /dev/ieee1394/dv/host/NTSC/in

for example. You get a delay because of the cache size though and mplayer is
not too good at guessing what turns out as

"RAWDV file format detected."

when the cache is too small.

Isn't there some way to specify the file format on the command line so mplayer
doesn't have to seek back and forth the input stream to determine what it is?

--
/\   Georgi Georgiev   /\ If all the world's a stage, I want to        /\
\/    chutz at gg3.net    \/ operate the trap door. -- Paul Beatty        \/