[MPlayer-users] Problem with playing VCDs

Adam Rice adamrice at ntlworld.com
Thu Jan 8 19:50:28 CET 2004

Quoting R Karthick (charisma at symonds.net):
> I am using Debian Woody, with Mplayer 0.92-2.95.4.

That version is very old. In my opinion, 1.0pre3 is the best available
version. But in practice, if you're going to file a bug report, you need to
use the CVS version. It's hidden away at the bottom of the download page,
here's a direct link:

http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/cvs/MPlayer-current.tar.bz2

Although getting a CVS version is generally a bit of a crap shoot, I've found
MPlayer's CVS versions to be stable.

> I am using Debian Woody, with Mplayer 0.92-2.95.4. My MP3s are playing
> nice with it, but when i try to play VCDs or any other video files like
> avi or mpeg, my monitor somehow goes out of sync.It goes to the suspend or
> off mode automatically. if I try to play it from the console, it shutsdown
> saying a error message.

Weird! Probably your XVideo extension is messed up. In other words, you have a
problem with the driver for your graphics card. Try another piece of software
that uses the XVideo extension, such as xine, to see if it has the same
problem. Try using mplayer -vo x11 to confirm that mplayer can actually play
the files.

Before posting again, do read
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html

Adam