[MPlayer-users] Walmart music download service & MPlayer

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Wed Jan 7 04:20:11 CET 2004

R G Cottrell wrote:

> BTW, does anybody care to wax lyrical on the merits of the ogg
> format?
> Like, why should I use ogg rather than mp3?
> Apologies if this is too far offtopic.

You can get the same audio quality with a smaller filesize.

Or you can get better quality with the same filesize.

Or, if you're willing to strike a balance rather than maximizing one or
the other, you can often get better quality *and* smaller filesize.

Unless you're encoding for some container or player which doesn't
support Vorbis but does support MP3, there's really no reason that I
know of to *not* use it.

Not particularly lyrical, I know, but it gets the job done...

--
       The Wanderer