[MPlayer-users] codec tsccvid.dll: playback fails if vid.res. is 1024:768 (device is incompatible with this codec)

Thomas Kranz tkran2002 at yahoo.de
Sat Jan 3 20:03:31 CET 2004

Hi mplayer-users and developers,

I've a severe problem: I have here some lectures recorded with a screen capture tool
developed by Techsmith. The playback of videos with 800:600 works fine but the new
lectures are recorded with 1024:768 and the playback with the latest mplayer doesn't work:

Opening video decoder: [vfw] Win32/VfW video codecs
======= Win32 (VFW) VIDEO Codec init =======
get_path('registry') -> '/home/thomas/.mplayer/registry'
Loaded DLL driver tsccvid.dll
ICDecompressGetFormatSize ret: 40
ICDecompressGetFormat OK
VDec: vo config request - 1024 x 768 (preferred csp: Packed YUY2)
[PP] Using codec's postprocessing, max q = 9.
Trying filter chain: vo
Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...
Opening video filter: [scale]
SwScale params: -1 x -1 (-1=no scaling)
Trying filter chain: scale vo
The selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec.
VDecoder init failed :(
Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x63637374.
Read DOCS/HTML/en/codecs.html!

selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec is the first hint for me, so I tried different output
devices and x11 color depth - no success. Has anybody a hint or solution to playback the video.
Examples videos can be found eg. at
http://porta.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/lectures/TI1/LocalReplay/AVI/
(This are the working ones).

But the TI2 lecture has videos which aren't working with the described problems:
http://porta.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/lectures/TI2/02-ss/Vorlesungsaufzeichnung/video/

There are also divx-videos but with a big disadvantage - the quality is too bad for because
there are edge detection problems and aliasing effects. The results are ugly looking chars and edges.
Not very wise to encode the video in divx without an appropiate filter to avoid these problems (sharpen filter eg).

In Windows all playback is fine. I also copied the latest tsccvid.dll to the /usr/lib/win32 dir.

The codec can be found at:
http://www-i7.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/d/teaching/ws0304/modelchk/instructions.html

Thanks for any help.

Thomas