[MPlayer-users] Problem preserving video quality using -ovc copy from DVD

Jeremy Brinkley jeremy-mplayer at batray.net
Sat Jan 3 06:56:31 CET 2004

On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 02:40:29AM -0300, Martin wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 20:23:27 -0800
> Jeremy Brinkley <jeremy-mplayer at batray.net> wrote:
>
> [edit]
>
> > mencoder dvd://1 -oac copy -ovc copy -chapter 1-1 -o 1-1.avi
> >
> > The resulting .avi, however, has distorted frames, and the timing of these
> > distortions seem to be similar to where mencoder has printed the message:
> >
> > Skipping frame!
> >
> > and
> >
> > 1 duplicate frame(s)!
>
> Humm... May be a silly idea since your are using -o[av]c copy, not
> reencoding the dvd, but try with -ofps 23.976, I use it when encoding Z1
> or Z4 dvds to mpeg4 to avoid skip/duplicate frames problems

Thanks for the reply! It got me thinking about framerates and so I tried
various combinations along those lines. mplayer detects the original video
with a framerate of 29.97, and when it plays the result detects the same. I
tried specifying -ofps 23.976 as you suggest at the encoding step, and the
results were poor; lots more skipped frames. But I was encouraged that it
did affect the result. I specified -ofps 29.97 with the same result as if
I'd left it out.

--
Ericsson Apologist
Valhalla Scandinavian Culture Society of Santa Cruz