[MPlayer-users] recoding script for DVD/SVCD/VCD

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Fri Jan 2 15:21:30 CET 2004

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 18:42:20 +0100
Martin Emrich <martin at emmerator.dyndns.org> wrote:

> > Hmm...  I looked through it, and saw a few things that look wrong.
> > Mainly, you seem to use a keyint of 132 for all three
> > (DVD/SVCD/VCD)...
>
> Yes, the mplayer manpage says: "...For a strict MPEG1/2/4 compliance
> this would have to  be  <=132". Which values would be optimal for
> standalone players?

Well, you should look-up the specs for VCD/SVCD/DVDs.  For VCD/SVCD, I
believe you need one keyframe every second to be within spec...  So
keyint=25 for PAL, and keyint=30 for NTSC.

On my hardware DVD-player (Apex AD1225, NTSC), seeking backwards will
not work normally with a keyint >30.  However, I prefer to cheat, and
use a keyint of 60... That way, I am not able to seek backwards at 2X,
but 4X or greater still works.