[MPlayer-users] A question about Mplayer computation.

James Lancaster james at kirk.math.twsu.edu
Fri Jan 2 14:31:25 CET 2004

Most things are integer based, and ALL of libavcodecs are integer based
(except  a very few ops having to do with wm stuff, last I looked) (If I
am wrong, someone please correct me)

mp3lib is fp based, but you can use ffmp3 or libmad to decode mp3. Ogg is
currently handled by mplayer's own implementation of ogg, which is also as
I recall integer, though you can also use the tremor integer ogg decoder
(configure option: --enable-tremor)

Most of what people are working on are either arm or mips if they aren't
using an fpu, for arm you might want to check out xmms-e.sourceforge.net
who continued on with more than just getting mplayer to work on Zaurus.

Also there have been various uses of it on mips, and according to a
friend, it works great on a dreamcast. There is another thread on needing
color conversion for a mips, which has been going on for a while.

Pretty much stick to libavcodec (ff*), and you should be fine.

James L.