[MPlayer-users] Re: mplayer drops a lot of frames when playing over fast network

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at optushome.com.au
Thu Jan 1 10:07:42 CET 2004

> You might also try reading this, if you haven't already:
> http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/performance.html

I'll read it now ;-)

> I've found that adding rsize=8192,wsize=8192 improves transfer
> performance considerably. Whether or not this alleviates your
> problem, you may get better speed overall.

Yes, I had already tried this.  Since I installed kernel 2.6.0 however, the
performance has degraded *much* further - to the point where I'm lucky to get
300kB/sec over NFS, whereas FTP easily reaches 7MB/sec!!!  I found that
setting rsize+wsize to 2048 improves it enough to be workable (2MB/sec) but
I'm still not sure why a kernel 2.6.0 client has so much trouble talking to a
2.4.22 server (both NFSv3.)  Also, if I try to access another file on the
same share, network traffic drops almost to a standstill and physical disk
access stops entirely until I stop one of the processes accessing the NFS
share - and while this is going on the system CPU % is almost as high as it
can go, so I'm really confused about what could be causing that, but I'll
work through the URL you sent and see if I can work it out.

Thanks,
Adam.