[MPlayer-users] esd consumes 20-50% of my cpu cycles. help!

dave giffin givdav01 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 28 18:58:51 CET 2004

I'm using Mplayer1.0pre3 with the enlightenment sound
daemon(esd) so that I can run multiple copies of
mplayer and have the audio mixed together.

I was using esd 0.2.28, which for some movies was
using 10%-15% of my cpu (athlon xp), more than what
mplayer was using to play the movie. So I decided to
upgrade to esd 0.2.32, which, once I compiled and ran
it, was using 50% of my CPU to playback audio from a
mpeg2-vob movie! (whereas mplayer was using around
10-15%)

I've also had a/v sync issues with esd 0.2.28. which
also prompted my upgrade attempt.

I need a program to mix multiple audio streams
together, with the ability to give each stream a
different volume level.

I'm using esd now, but maybe I should use something
else? I tried artsd a long time ago, but it used a lot
of cpu cycles too, and I couldn't get it to allow me
to have different volume levels for each audio stream.

What should I do?

Though this may not be the most appropriate place for
this message, I couldn't find a mailing list on the
esd web page
(http://www.tux.org/~ricdude/EsounD.html), and since
this is mplayer related, I'm posting it here.