[MPlayer-users] info on -cbp -mv0 and -qprd

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Feb 27 21:41:12 CET 2004

On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 12:39:30PM -0600, Wayde Milas wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 12:28, Wayde Milas wrote:
> > I'm doing high quality encoding with a base encoder line of:
> > mencoder dvd://1 -o blah.avi -mc 0 -noskip -skiplimit 0 -oac copy -ovc
> > lavc -vf crop=www:xxx:y:z -lavcopts
> > vcodec=mpeg2:trell:vmax_b_frames=1:v4mv:autoaspect
> >

> Darnit, my cut and copy skills arent good today. that line should read:
> mencoder dvd://1 -o blah.avi -mc 0 -noskip -skiplimit 0 -oac copy -ovc
> lavc -vf crop=www:xxx:y:z -lavcopts
> vcodec=mpeg4:vqscale=2:mbd=2:trell:vmax_b_frames=1:v4mv:autoaspect

What are www, xxx, y, and x? Width and height must both be multiples
of 16 unless you're going to scale afterwards, horizontal offset must
be even, and vertical offset should be even or a multiple of 4. Also,
the following options might improve quality:

mv0
cbp
cmp=2
subcmp=2
qpel

Further, if you're not using insanely high bitrates, you should
probably use the denoise3d filter to remove noise and scale down to an
appropriate size (still multiples of 16!) so that there's less
information to encode. Otherwise you'll have blocking and/or ringing
artefacts.

Finally, I don't see anything about 2pass encoding in your post. 1pass
will definitely give you very bad quality unless you use a really high
bitrate.

Rich