[MPlayer-users] Horizontal Lines in Playing DVD

Tahir ijaz at purdue.edu
Fri Feb 27 12:30:07 CET 2004

I am having trouble playing DVD's under linux in mplayer, xine as well
as ogle. DVDs do start playing but for some reason they have all these
small horizontal lines at the portion of the screen where theres some
motion. I am kindda new with linux, so I usually get my help at IRC
channels. People asked me change my output codec to 'x11' and 'xv'. But
none of them solved the problem. They asked me to enable DMA for my
hdisk and DVD-ROM... and it was already enabled. They even asked me to
turn off the SCSI simulation in grub.conf and made me reboot. But the
problem persisted.

I just purschased this DVD-ROM, its a new Sony DVD-R... and it works
fine under winXP. The graphic card I am using is "Nvidia GeForce 4 MX
440 SE". I have its driver installed from nvidia's website. I am using
Redhat 9.0.  My machine is nothing special but its a P3 800Mhz with
512MB SD RAM.

Other files like mpeg, avi, divx run absolutely fine without any
problems. The problem just arises whenever I try to play a DVD.  I have
tried to fiddle around with the settings for all those players,  but
nothing made a difference.

I am really lost, have no idea how to resolve this issue... I would be
more than happy to try out any suggestions you guys might have.

appreciate your help,
-Tahir