[MPlayer-users] MPlayer GUI and subtitles encoding

Václav Krpec vasekk at alsoft.cz
Thu Feb 19 13:02:07 CET 2004

  Hi,

I'm having trouble with subtitles encoding using
gmplayer. I've set both subtitles encoding (to cp1250)
and sub. font encoding (tried both cp1250/iso-8859-2,
with appropriate font installed), but MPlayer still
won't show czech characters properly (it only shows
iso-8859-1 chars). Running mplayer from shell works
fine except for 2 chars: š,ž (s and z with caron).
iconv compilation and tests went ok.
I tried a true-type font, too, but result is the same.

I've used mplayer for some years on Slackware 8.0 with
no problem, now I decided to try Mandrake 9.2
and I've got this trouble; do anyone have experience
with MPlayer on Mandrake? (Also note that I compiled
and installed latest MPlayer by myself, I'm not using
the precompiled one from the distribution.) The only
change I see is that instalation prefix for such
programs Mandrake use is /usr/, not /usr/local/ (and
I configured MPlayer to use it...)

Any ideas? Thanks for any suggestions.
Regards,

--