[MPlayer-users] Can you create Quicktime movies...

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Feb 18 23:29:58 CET 2004

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 06:44:28PM +0000, Paul Simpson wrote:

> ...that can be read on both PC's and Macs?
>
> Hi, I'm just about to pull my hair out.  I've read all the FAQ's and
> RFE's and Googled and still feel none the wiser.  Help!  I now suspect not.
>
> Going back a step:  I'm trying to figure out what how I can create a
> movie file that:
> - is high quality (to show work in progress of animation and special fx)
> - can be viewed on default Mac's and PC's
>
> Ideally, I'd love to be able to create a Soresson v3 quicktime file.  I
> know I can view these on my linux box - but can I make them?

No, and it would be a horrible proprietary choice anyway.

> Failing that - what would you guru's out there recommend I use as a
> default file format?  mpeg2,mpeg4?  Remember - this is for my very
> non-techy clients - and their clients.  Asking them to download and
> install divx will result in them formatting their machines and me
> getting the sack.
>
> I've managed to create mpegs that I can run locally.   They just can't
> seem to load up on my windoze box.

Make mpeg1 video with mp2 audio:

mencoder -of mpeg -oac lavc -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg1video:acodec=mp2:...

This should play anywhere. If it doesn't, that's because mencoder's
mpeg muxer is broken, in which case you could store the output in .avi
(leave off the -of mpeg) and then use another tool to move it to mpeg
container.

Rich